Admissions FAQ

Where will I conduct the Clinical Sciences (rotations)?

Please visit the Hospital Affiliations webpage for an updated list.

Will I be able to do my residency in the United States after obtaining the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree?

Yes, once successfully passing the tests of United States Medical Licensing Examination, you will have the opportunity to obtain a license to practice medicine in the United States. You should check with the State Medical Board of the state where you would like to practice medicine for their specific requirements regarding foreign medical school graduates.

Is the University of Health Sciences Antigua (UHSA) accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)?

The University of Health Sciences Antigua (UHSA) does not have Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) accreditation since it is a foreign medical school. The Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) only accredits institutions in the United States and Canada and not foreign institutions. However, once you pass the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE), you are equalized with those individuals that graduate from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) accredited institutions.

Since 1983, UHSA has been listed within the Avicenna Directory of Medical Schools, formerly the World Health Organization (WHO). UHSA is also recognized by the Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG),  the Antigua & Barbuda National Accreditation Board (ABNAB), and listed within the International Medical Education Directory (IMED).

This recognition confers eligibility for the medical graduates of the university to take the United States Medical Licensing Examinations (USMLE) in the U.S. and is one of the requirements of the Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB) in the U.K. Our listing in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED-FAIMER) also allows our students to take the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE).  Nursing students are eligible to take the NCLEX examinations for licensure within the United States.

What does the State Board of Medical Examiners require?

The State Board of Medical Examiners requires:

  • A good academic record
  • Clinical rotations and residencies must be completed at affiliated hospitals
  • The applicant must pass the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) for certification

When is the application for admission deadline?

What type of degree do I receive after completing the Medical Programs at UHSA?

Upon completion of the M.D. program at UHSA School of Medicine, you will be awarded a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree.

How long is the program?

The M.D. program at UHSA is a 4-year program that consists of Basic Sciences studies and Clinical Pathways leading to the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree.

The Bachelor of Science in Nursing program is a 3-year program.

The RN-Bachelor of Science in Nursing Bridge program is a 1-year program.

How long will I be in Antigua?

  • For the Medical Doctor Program, you will be in Antigua for the first 2 years, completing the Basic Sciences portion of the program. The remaining two years is spent at our network of teaching hospitals.
  • For the Nursing programs, the entire time is spent in Antigua.

Does UHSA use cadavers within its curriculum?

Yes. Students are exposed to cadavers throughout the curriculum.

Program Requirements

Is there a Campus Dress code

Yes.  During visitations to Hospitals, Clinics, Classrooms as well as for the Laboratory periods, medical students at the University of Health Sciences Antigua must wear their scrubs or lab coats.  Please visit the Campus Dress Code section of the website.

Are books included in the tuition and fees?

No. Books and supplies are not included within the tuition and fees.

Have any of your graduates who went through your medical programs been accepted into residency programs in the United States?

Yes. Many of our graduates who completed our medical programs have passed the United States Licensing Examinations (USMLE) and consequently have been accepted into residency positions as well as practicing in the United States.

Is there an Alumni contact list for prospective candidates?

Yes. But you will need a user ID and password to access it on the web site. The login information will be provided after acceptance to the program.

How soon are we able to get permission to take Step I?

Once completing the Review of the Basic Sciences, students are required to complete the Review of the Basic Sciences. Students are then required to take the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) and pass with satisfactory results.  Upon successful completion, you will be granted the opportunity to take United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step I.

Tuition & Fees

What is the cost per year?

Please visit the Tuition & Fees webpage.

Is there any financial aid available?

Yes.  Please visit the Financial Aid & Tuition Assistance webpage.

General Questions

Should I take science courses like biochemistry or expand my liberal arts background after completing the required pre-medical courses?

Yes. It is recommended. This will further prepare you for your medical courses.

Does UHSA accept transfer students?

Yes.  Visit the Transferring to UHSA section for more information.

Does UHSA accept transfer students who have been dismissed from other medical schools?


I have completed my Basic Sciences and some of my Clinical Rotations at an IMED listed medical school. Can I be accepted as a transfer student?

Yes (please refer to previous question for specifics). However, all Clinical Rotations must all be conducted while enrolled at UHSA.

Does the medical school accept individuals with a B.S. degree in other disciplines but lack science requirements?

Yes. Individuals with a B.S. degree in other disciplines but lacking science requirements may be considered for the M.D. program, however, the necessary prerequisites would need to be completed for admission.

Is there a preferred undergraduate major for admission into your medical program?

No. There is no preferred undergraduate major for admission into our medical program. However, it is most important that you do well in pre-medical requisite courses.

If I work in a healthcare field, will it enhance my chances of admission into your medical program?

Experience in the healthcare field, definitely will be considered. However you would still be expected to have all the prerequisites as well as the required competitive grades.

UHSA can only accept as transfer credits, courses earned at another medical school listed in IMED. The ECFMG does not recognize credits awarded at a DC, DPM or DDS School and therefore will not grant certification to graduates who have not obtained all of their Basic Sciences credits at an IMED listed medical school.
The ECFMG Certification is required if you wish to sit for the USMLE.

Student Housing

Is there housing off-campus near the school?

Yes.  Visit the Campus Housing section for more information.

Are the on-campus dormitories air conditioned?

Yes. They are available on a first come first-served basis.